Whoever said comfort food and a nourishing meal had to be mutually exclusive?! This dish checks both of those boxes.
It’s made with only 6 ingredients and will have you feeling like an accomplished chef in no time (takes less than 30 minutes to make).
Polenta is made from cornmeal so it is naturally gluten-free (similar to grits, but a little coarser in texter) and contains 3g protein and 3g fiber per cup. Traditionally butter and cheese are added to a polenta dish for extra flavor. However, I subbed ghee for butter and nutritional yeast for the cheese to give it a rich flavor without the lactose.
Ghee is clarified butter (making it lactose free) and makes it a lot easier on the tummy for some people. Nutritional yeast is a dairy-free cheese substitue, which is very popular in the vegan world thanks to its cheesy and nutty flavor. Plus nutritional yeast is a a great source of vitamin B12 (a nutrient often lacking in plant-based diets). Lastly, as always I recommend pairing this meal with your favorite veggies (as with all other meals! #veggiesallday) for an added nutrient and fiber boost!
Ingredients (serves 2)
1. 8 scallops (I use frozen Scallops from Trader Joe’s because they are convenient, but fresh is always a great option as well!)
2. 2 Servings (2/5 of package) of Trader Joe’s Organic Polenta
3. 1 tablespoon Ghee (Fourth and Heart)
4. 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast (can buy either Trader Joe’s of Braggs brand)
4. 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
5. 1/4 cup Water
6. Pepper to taste
1. Thaw scallops (if frozen) according to directions on package and dry thoroughly with paper towels (will sear better if there is less moisture prior to going on the pan)
2. Once scallops are dried season with S&P (as desired)
2. Melt 1 Tablespoon of Ghee in small saucepan over medium heat and add polenta and 1/4 cup water. Continue to stir until polenta is softened for ~10 minutes. Add in 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast and stir.
3. Meanwhile, heat up cast iron skillet with 1 Tablespoon olive oil and saute scallops for 2-3 minutes on each side.
4. Serve scallops over polenta with 1-2 servings of veggies (pictured: steamed asparagus and roasted brussel sprouts in olive oil).