The thought of swapping TJ’s “Everything but the Bagel Seasoning” for cinnamon and eggs for berries initially seemed like a very strange idea, but ever since I’ve tried it I haven’t looked back! It’s become a regular in my morning breakfast rotation.
Not only does this combo taste amazing – it will also keep you fuller much longer than oatmeal alone thanks to the mix of soluble fiber and protein found in all the ingredients.
When it comes to breakfast I generally recommend that my clients aim for at least 20-25 grams. Oatmeal on it’s own only provides 5g protein per 1/2 cup. Therefore, by adding the slivered almonds (5g protein per 2 tablespoons), eggs (6g protein per egg) and spinach (1g protein per 1 cup raw) you’ll be able to up the protein and nourishment.
- 1 packet Oatmeal
- 1-2 Eggs
- 1 cup Spinach
- 2 tbsp Slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp Trader Joe’s “Everything but the Bagel Seasoning”
- 1 tsp Olive oil (or 1-2 sprays of olive oil spray)
- Soft-boil or poach eggs (see below for a great egg cooking instruction resource)
- Follow oatmeal packet instructions (I use Trader Joe’s Instant Unsweetened Instant Oatmeal made with Oats, Quinoa & Amaranth with Flaxseeds and Chia Seeds)
- While oatmeal is in microwave quickly sautée spinach (or use leftover sautéed spinach)
- Top oatmeal with eggs, sautéed spinach, slivered almonds and TJ’s “everything but the bagel” seasoning