Happy first day of summer! June 21st officially marks the first day of this glorious time of the year aka: ICE CREAM season! While I’m not a vegan, I do like to try out different plant-based recipes frequently and this dairy-free ice cream substitute quickly became a staple in my summer routine last year and just so happens to be so easy to make for dessert on the spot or ahead of time.
It also serves a great purpose for leftover/ripe bananas since this “nice” cream is pretty much only made out of them (bananas right?!). The only prep you need to do is make sure you have frozen nanas on hand in your freezer. I tend to keep a stash of these guys in my freezer at all times since they can be great for adding creaminess to smoothies too!
While you can make this recipe very simple with plain banana “nice” cream by itself – I like to add in the almond butter to make it more of a balanced and filling dessert by combining the healthy fats and protein from the almond butter with the carbohydrate from the banana.Check out the simple recipe below.
- Frozen bananas (2 or more) *peeled before freezer
- 1-2 TBS almond butter
- 1 TSP Cinnamon
- Optional toppings: Fresh fruit or chocolate chips (Enjoy Life foods chocolate chips to keep the recipe vegan)
- Blend frozen bananas in food processor or blender until creamy.
- Add 1-2 TBS almond butter and 1 tsp cinnamon and blend until mixed.
- Serve immediately, or freeze. Scoop and serve.